One of our family’s favorite breakfast meals is Steel Cut Oatmeal and Quinoa. The quinoa provides additional protein and nutrients, while also “fluffing” up the oats a bit so they don’t seem quite as dense.
We only add a small portion of quinoa, so taste and texture of the steel cut oats are not affected.
We make a large batch each Sunday morning that normally lasts throughout the week.
This is an easy and healthy recipe that can be easily built upon to cater to different preferences and tastes.
You can add just about any topping to the oats and quinoa – it’s all fair game – milk (almond, coconut, etc), maple syrup, honey, fresh fruit, nuts, or whatever else you can imagine!
Our kids love it topped with fresh local berries (organic preferred!) with a maple syrup drizzle – can you blame them?
We use organic ingredients and toppings whenever possible.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
- 1 1/4 cups steel cut oats
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 5 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 3 tbsp cinnamon (we generally use more)
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan (use at least a 3 Qt saucepan)
- Slowly stir in Oats and Quinoa
- Reduce heat to medium-low
- After 15 minutes: Add Hemp Hearts and Chia Seeds
- After 30 minutes: Add Cinnamon and Nutmeg
- Simmer uncovered for 35 to 45 minutes, stirring occasionally – until water is absorbed and oats and Quinoa are Tender.
We like to get creative with toppers for morning oats & quinoa...
For the kids, we add fresh organic fruits (blueberries, strawberries, and/or raspberries), a few almonds, milk, and then a drizzle of organic maple syrup.
My wife and I like to add fresh organic berries, almonds and walnuts, hemp hearts, and almond/coconut or pea milk.
For a different twist, add a tablespoon of organic peanut butter and sliced banana.
Looks awesome, and bet it is delish!